Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Blankie Crisis

Well, today was a very emotional day for me and Chloe, to put it mildly.  We went to a freezer cooking workshop with some MOMS at the church where we usually meet.  In all the chaos of getting my stuff out, I didn't notice that Chloe took her favorite item in the whole wide world...aka blankie...into the churchWhen we got home 2 hours later, we had some lunch and then I went on the hunt for blankie since it was naptime, only to find it NOWHERE!  For those who don't know, Chloe has been sleeping with her blankie since the day we brought her home from the hospital.  It's her lovey, her security, her everything.  

I called the church, hoping someone had turned it in.  Nope.  The lady said they'd check the rooms we were in.  In the meantime, I emailed my MOMS who had been with me this morning to find out if any of them saw it.  Again, nope.  Two of my friends offered to check the church later in the afternoon.  Then the lady from the church calls me back.  No luck finding it anywhere that we'd been.  I thanked her with a lump in my throat, hit End Call, and burst into tears.  

It may seem silly to anyone who doesn't have a child with a lovey or never had one themselves to cry over a lost blanket.  It's not just a piece of cloth though.  It's way more than that.  It's what makes Chloe feel better when she's sick or hurt or sad or mad.  It gives her comfort when nothing else can.  She will only fall asleep if she has that blankie.

So part of my crying was selfish because I was envisioning the next few days of no sleep and a sobbing child yelling for her blankie.

There is a happy ending:)  I decided to drive to the church to look for it myself.  Mainly for peace of mind that I had done everything in my power to bring back Chloe's blankie.  Ten minutes into our drive, my friend calls me.  She asked me, "Is Chloe's middle name Diane?"  I screamed and thanked God and thanked her for finding it.  Turns out that the blankie was in the closet where the balls are kept.  I vaguely remember Chloe going in the closet with me to get some kickballs and basketballs.  I do not remember her having the blankie.  She had set it down on the steps that lead to the attic which are around a corner.
 Chloe's reaction to getting her blankie back..."Chloe blankie happy"♥
 

1 comment:

  1. Awwww, I'm glad to hear that she acknowledged having it back. She was so "Yeah, whatever" about it when we gave it to her!

    I would also add to that story that when I called you, I had to hold the phone waaaaay away from my ear, to avoid being deafened by the screams.

    I'm glad we could help. Check my blog in a few minutes for photos of Peeper's victory lap after finding it :-)

    ReplyDelete